17 Feb 2016

Xiaomi yi tapping battery to quad mod

Today was a great day. after my bearing attachment mod (which probably didnt do any major changes in flight time, but might be good on the motor) i proceed with the direct to quad camera battery tap mod. My camera is a xiaomi yi which eats 3.7v thru the battery and eats 5v thru the microusb port. I didnt go thru the battery option but thru the usb port as i havent figured out how to tap it without soldering it to the battery port. And since the quad outputs a spare 3.7v, i needed a voltage converter. I was planning on getting one on Banggood but it will probably took me another 2 -3 weeks before i can proceed this project.

the cheap powerbank
So i opt for a cheap option. Modding a cheap powerbank. I got it from cdrking, cheap at probably 3 bucks (150 pesos), good thing it runs with an 18650 3.7v volts battery and ofcours the small voltage converter on it.

So i hook em up to the port. Got the terminals all line up to positive and solder them. I also skinned down and trimmed the micro usb to usb cable from 12g to a measly 3g.

The final test is running xiaomi yi with everything powered on. And seems to be all good. I loose 20g from xiaomi battery by tapping on the quads battery.

final connections, with voltage regulator
But when all seems too promising, i did a double test running the quad with the mod on it. The end point, i loose flight time but gain a little agility. Which for me was not what i've initially planned. Most probably the camera draining too much to the quad's battery, my guess was roughly around almost 1amp current.

So i might just keep this project in, probably if i got a smaller and lighter camera with small power drain in the future. will be reverting back to the stock configuration. already planning on getting a lighter camera, just a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment